• Blog

    Holiday Pet Tip: Dangerous Holiday Plants

    ollie

    Dangerous Holiday Plants

    There are many types of decorative plants that are toxic to dogs and cats. Ingestion of some may only lead to mild indigestion and discomfort and in other cases, the toxicity can lead to more severe health problems, and even fatalities.
    Be a responsible pet owner by knowing which plants should be avoided:
    Poinsettia Plant
    The poinsettia plant contain a sap that is irritating to the tissues of the mouth and esophagus. If ingested, it will often cause nausea and vomiting, but it would take a large amount to cause poisoning.
    Holly and Mistletoe
    These plants have a greater toxicity level than the poinsettia. Symptoms of illness include: intestinal upset, vomiting and diarrhea, excessive drooling, and abdominal pain.
    * If a large amount is ingested, seizures and death may follow. Keep these out of your pet friendly home.
    Lilies and Daffodils
    In cats, lilies are the most dangerous. Even eating a small amount of the plant will have a severe impact on your cat’s health, causing severe symptoms such as gastrointestinal issues, arrhythmia, and convulsions. Daffodils are toxic to both dogs and cats.
    Amaryllis
    Belladonna, Saint Joseph Lily, Cape Belladonna, and Naked Lady cause salivation, gastrointestinal abnormalities (vomiting, diarrhea, decreased appetite, and abdominal pain), lethargy, and tremors in both cats and dogs. Please avoid!
    Christmas Cactus
    This plant is not toxic to dogs or cats but the plant material can cause irritation to the stomach and intestine, leading to vomiting or diarrhea.
    The Christmas Tree
    The oils in fir trees can irritate your pet’s mouth and stomach, causing excessive vomiting or drooling. The tree needles can cause gastrointestinal irritation, obstructions and punctures if ingested.
    *The most important issue with the tree is the Bacteria, molds, and fertilizers in the tree water can cause your pet to become extremely sick with only a few laps. Please keep tree water cover and out of your pets reach.
    If you have any concerning questions about the toxicity of other plants…  just ask :)

    Comments are closed.

    Facebook

    Twitter

    YouTube